Fettuccine with Asparagus!!
- 6 fresh asparagus spears, about 1/2 pound
- 10 ounces fresh fettuccine or 3/4 pound dried fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or parsley
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Cut off tough ends of asparagus spears. Cut each on the bias into 1-inch lengths. There should be about 1 1/2 cups. Rinse well and drain.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water and cook about 2 minutes. Remove asparagus with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Drop the fettuccine into salted boiling water. Let cook to desired degree of doneness (cooking time will range from about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes for fresh pasta to 9 minutes or more for dried). Reserve 2 tablespoons cooking water. Drain the pasta.
- Heat the butter in the pot in which the pasta was cooked. Add the asparagus pieces and the fettuccine. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the reserved 2 tablespoons of cooking water and basil. Toss to blend. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese on the side.